Thursday, November 14, 2013

Poetry Inquiry

SONNET 18 PARAPHRASE.
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Shall I compare you to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate: You are more lovely and more constant:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, Rough winds shake the beloved buds of May
And summer's lease hath all too short a date: And summer is far too short:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines, At times the sun is too hot,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd; Or often goes behind the clouds;
And every fair from fair sometime declines, And everything beautiful sometime will lose its beauty,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd; By misfortune or by nature's planned out course.
But thy eternal summer shall not fade But your youth shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest; Nor will you lose the beauty that you possess;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade, Nor will death claim you for his own,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest: Because in my eternal verse you will live forever.
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see, So long as there are people on this earth,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee. So long will this poem live on, making you immortal.

I found this translation of my sonnet on this website http://www.shakespeare-online.com/sonnets/18detail.html  which was very helpful for understanding the sonnet. This one of the well known sonnets and its because of how straight forward he is. He is proclaiming to her about her beauty and how her youth would never fade. He also said that now that he spoke of her beauty it would live on through the sonnet forever where it would never be forgotten. This sonnet has a powerful impact of love he has for her and the beauty she beholds through his eyes. I can't really relate a love poem to me but it really inspire me to keep my dreams youthful and always to have hope for what I want to do with my life. "so long as there are people on this earth, So long will this poem live on, make you immortal" this quote makes me want to do something that is gonna carry on when I leave this world, something that really effected the people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment